March 12, 2012

Roasted Sunny-Side Up Eggs in Rings of Onion over Zucchini


While catching up on Facebook this past Friday, I came across a picture that my husband posted to my wall that he found on reddit.com.  It was a lovely picture of a sunny-side up egg inside an onion ring and I was excited about the idea.   There was also some zucchini in my fridge that I needed to use up, so I decided to roast everything together in the oven.  The verdict?  Amazing!  



Ingredients:
Serves 4
  • 4 large eggs
  • 4 onion ring slices, sliced 1/2-inch thick
  • 1 zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch x 6 inch sticks 
  • Olive oil, for coating 
  • 1 tsp dried parsley
  • 1/8 tsp garlic powder
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Lightly coat the onion rings and zucchini in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Place on a baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes.  If you like your onions completely soft, leave them in for 8 minutes.

Remove from the oven and turn the zucchini sticks over on the other side.  Carefully crack an egg in the center of each onion ring.  Sprinkle with parsley and a smidgen of garlic powder over each egg.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste. 

Bake for about 6 to 9 minutes, or until the eggs are set to your preference.  

Place the zucchini sticks side-by-side on a plate.  Using a spatula, carefully lift the egg/onion and place on top of the zucchini. 

Enjoy!




3 comments:

  1. how cool! So clever- I love onions with my eggs so this is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea. This really looks and sounds delicious. I may beacopy cat :-) Have a great evening. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm convinced...I have to make this!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: