July 12, 2012

Double Chocolate Covered Cherry Muffins


I'll never forget the first time I tasted a Bing cherry.  During a sleepover when I was very young, my Grandmommy pulled out a bag from the freezer for dessert.  In it contained small, red, frozen balls with a stem sticking out of each one.  She handed me one of them and told me to suck on it until it became soft and then bite.  It was amazing!  Every year when Bing cherries are in season, I smile and think about how much I love and miss my Grandmommy -- and you can be sure that I will have a bag of them in the refrigerator... and a bag in the freezer.

I decided to use some of those delicious Bing cherries in muffins for breakfast.  If you enjoy chocolate covered cherries, these muffins are for you!  The results?  Rich, moist and chocolaty muffins with sweet pieces of cherry in each bite.

P.S.  A special "thank you" to Charlotte, who finally took down her web and helped to make this post possible!  (My Facebook followers will understand!)




Ingredients:
Yields 12 muffins

  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 1 c white sugar 
  • 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder 
  • 2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 1/4 c milk
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 1 c fresh Bing cherries, pitted and chopped  
  • 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips 
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.  In a medium bowl, beat together the milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla extract.  

Gradually stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture, until just combined.  Stir in the Bing cherries and chocolate chips.  The batter will be thick.  

Spoon the batter into prepared muffin cups 3/4 full.

Bake for 18 to 23 minutes (21 minutes in my oven), or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my word ! These look amazing !! Found oyur recipe on Pinterest....so glad I did, love your page !

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: