March 25, 2013

Peanut Butter & Chocolate Bars


Just as I was about to post another fish recipe a few days ago, it was kindly brought to my attention that maybe I should consider holding off on posting it because I have been posting a lot of fish recipes recently.  The thought hadn't even crossed my mind, so I was very thankful for that hot tip... which got me thinking - it has been a while since I've posted a dessert.  Upon asking my husband what kind of dessert he would like me to make, he found himself reminiscing about a dessert that his mother used to make for him as a younger boy.  Now, in case you don't know my husband, he is not a sweets kind of guy and there are very few desserts that he enjoys.   He described it as "peanut butter bars with chocolate on top that would harden".  This prompted a phone conversation with his mother, who informed us that it was a store-bought mix that was discontinued a long time ago.  I did a little playing around in the kitchen over the weekend and came up with these delicious bars.  The verdict?  My husband finally has his childhood dessert back.  Score!

Ingredients:
Yields approximately 24 bars, depending on how you cut them
150 calories per serving


  • 1/2 c butter, softened 
  • 1/3 c white sugar
  • 1/3 c packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 c creamy peanut butter
  • 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 3/4 c all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 c whole wheat flour 
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 c to 1 1/4 c milk chocolate chips, depending on how thick you want the layer of chocolate

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.  

In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and dark brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the eggs in one at a time, until smooth.  Beat in the peanut butter, until just combined.

In a medium bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt. 

Gradually beat the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, until just combined.  Be careful to not over beat.  The batter will be very thick.  

Spread the batter into a thin, even layer using a spatula.  Bake in a preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  

Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the peanut butter bar and allow them to sit for one minute.  Carefully spread the chocolate chips evenly on top.  Allow it to cool completely.

Cut into bars and enjoy!  Serve with milk.


1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: