January 22, 2014

Southwestern Stuffed Pork Tenderloin


I don't know where you live, but out here in the suburbs of Philadelphia, I'm pretty sure I measured 10 inches of snow!  Yesterday was a school snow day, today is another snow day... these kids are going to be attending school well into July at this rate!  I work out of my home as a transcriptionist, so I can thankfully stay home with my little sous chef while working in my sweatpants and I don't have to venture out into the cold.  I had a nice pork tenderloin waiting in the fridge that I had planned to use for dinner along with some leftover corn.  I decided to give my pork a little Mexican flare and came up with this healthy dish.  I served this over brown rice with a side of green beans from the garden.



Ingredients:


  • 1 1/2 lb pork tenderloin, butterflied and pounded 1/2 inch thick
  • 1 c tomatoes, diced then drained 
  • 1/2 c black beans, rinsed and drained 
  • 1/2 c corn
  • 1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
  • 1 tbsp chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely minced 
  • 1 tsp fresh cilantro, minced 
  • 3/4 c sharp cheddar cheese, shredded 
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder 
  • 1/4 tsp onion salt
  • Splash lime juice, or to taste
  • Pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste
  • 2 tbsp cooking oil (I use avocado oil)


Directions:


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  

In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, black beans, corn, green chiles, chipotle pepper, cilantro, cheddar, garlic, onion salt, lime juice, and cayenne pepper.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  

Season the pork on both sides with salt and pepper.  Spoon the tomato mixture on the pork lengthwise.  Roll the pork around the stuffing and tie with kitchen string.  

Heat the oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.  Sear the pork on both sides for about 2 or 3 minutes.  A little bit of the filling may fall out of the ends when you turn it over seam-side down.  Not to worry - just put it back in.  

Place the skillet in the preheated oven.  Bake for 25 minutes.  Cover the pork with tin foil and allow it to rest for 15 minutes. 

Slice into medallions with a sharp knife.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Carefully remove the jars and allow them to cool mobil service station near me
    check the lids to make sure they are properly sealed. They should not move when the center is pressed down

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: