April 1, 2011

Baked Doughnuts


Today is April Fool's Day and it seems like everyone has been getting in on the fun.  Even nature played a wonderful prank on us this morning with snow.  What a strange sight it was to see my day lilies covered in snow.  As my husband was leaving for work, my daughter hugged him goodbye, looked down and said, "Your shoe's untied."  He looked down as she giggled, "April Fool's!"  It's such a fun day.  Last year, I had my family thinking I was pregnant again.  That was a nasty trick!  Scroll to the bottom of this post to see cupcakes I made to look like spaghetti and meatballs.  Those were so much fun to make and really made you look twice before you bit into them! 

So, today I baked doughnuts, which happens to be my 300th recipe post.  300 recipes in a little over a year -- no fooling!  This was the perfect way to celebrate.  I love how these doughnuts are not fried.  They are so light and fluffy and have become my go-to doughnut recipe.  I found them over at Brown Eyed Baker, where Sugar Crafter guest posted the recipe.  Salad for lunch, salmon for dinner and doughnuts for dessert!


Ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 c sugar 
  • 1 c milk, heated to 115 degrees
  • 1 tbsp active dry yeast 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 2 tsp vanilla 
  • 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 c all-purpose flour, divided 
  • 1 stick butter, cut in 1-inch cubes 

    Directions:

    In a stand mixer using the paddle attachment,  Beat the egg and sugar on medium speed for 1 minute.  Add the milk, yeast, salt and vanilla.

    Turn the speed down to low and gradually add 2 cups of the flour.

    Attach the dough hook to your mixer.  Add in the butter, one piece at a time, until smooth. 

    Using the remaining flour, add just enough until the dough sticks to the hook and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (1 cup white flour plus 1/2 cup whole wheat flour did the trick for me).  The dough should be soft and moist but not sticky.

    Knead the dough on a lightly-floured surface.  Cover and allow to rise until double in size, about 1 hour.

    Roll out the dough to 1/2-inch thickness.  Cut out 3-inch circles with 1-inch holes in the middle (I used a drinking glass and a double shot glass).  Don't forget to save the holes and bake the, too!  Place them on greased baking sheets 1 inch apart.

     

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover the doughnuts set them on top of the oven while it is preheating (I was doing laundry, so the laundry room was the perfect warm room) until the dough doubles, about 25 minutes. 

    Bake in the oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until light golden in color.

    Top as desired.  You could dip the hot doughnuts in the melted butter and then coat with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.  I coated some of mine in melted chocolate for my daughter.  My husband requested jelly-filled, so I made a few without the cut-out, 1-inch circle, filled it with strawberry jelly and coated it with confectioners' sugar.  If you coat with confectioners' sugar, be sure to dip the hot doughnuts in melted butter first.  For me, I drizzled melted white and milk chocolate over them.  YUM!


    Serve immediately; doughnuts are best eaten the same day they are made.


    Enjoy!



    Madelyn Rating:
    "Muy bien!"

     









    22 comments:

    1. These look wonderful. I make donuts with some frequency but have never tried the baked version. You've convinced me it is time to try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

      ReplyDelete
    2. wow...lovely donuts ...my daughter loves donuts very much..thanks for sharing the recipe ! will surely giv it a try sometimes !

      ReplyDelete
    3. They look so good!
      and I love the cupcake, so cute!

      ReplyDelete
    4. hahaha! i love your rating system!

      definitely trying these for breakfast tomorrow! :D

      ReplyDelete
    5. Mmmmmm Let me just sit here for a moment and pretend I can actually eat one right now :) they look so good!!!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Hi,

      These doughnuts look great. I never thought about baked doughnuts, but you have me thinking about it now. I also like the spaghetti and meatball cupcake. Good job!

      Christine

      ReplyDelete
    7. Yes!

      A baked doughnut recipe that does not call for a doughnut pan, you are a genious. These look so yummy!

      ReplyDelete
    8. What a wonderful recipe .. love the great pics too...
      Loved going thru ur wonderful blog ...

      - Smita
      @ littlefoodjunction.blogspot.com
      (fun food ideas for lil ones )

      ReplyDelete
    9. How nice to have a baked doughnut for my collection...no calories from grease = more for toppings/fillings! Love that cupcake that looks like sketti and meatballs too..very creative!! Happy weekend, Celeste!!

      ReplyDelete
    10. I have been searching for an easy baked doughnuts recipe! I'm so glad too have found yours... and I love that it requires no fancy pans.

      Can't wait to try it!

      ReplyDelete
    11. I love baked donuts! Such a fun treat.

      I'd like to invite you to link up with Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/31/toffee-snickerdoodle-cookies/

      ReplyDelete
    12. Donuts look great! And the cupcakes are so cute!

      ReplyDelete
    13. 300 recipes posts is awesome. These donuts look wonderful. Cannot wait to try them out.

      ReplyDelete
    14. Thank you for your encouraging, sweet comments!

      ReplyDelete
    15. they turned out wonderful! Yum.

      xo

      ReplyDelete
    16. These look so yummy, I wish I hadn't given up donuts for the year. I've got to stick to something ;)

      ReplyDelete
    17. Love it and the meatball cupcakes!! Congrats on your 300th post! I need to get on the ball!

      ReplyDelete
    18. I would definitely go for the jelly ones. Thanks for linking this up. It made the Sweets for a Saturday hit list last week and will be featured on tomorrow's Sweets for a Saturday post.

      ReplyDelete
    19. Christina, you're stronger than I am! I could NEVER give up on a doughnut! :)

      Sommer, thank you! I miss your posting. I check every day to see if you've posted something. Get at it, girl! ;)

      Lisa, thank you so much for featuring it today. I am officially addicted to your blog and look forward to next Saturday!

      ReplyDelete
    20. My family used to own a bakery in the 50's. I wonder if their donut recipes would be suitable to bake. I agree the chocolate donuts look like my kind of donut!

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you! :)

    Featured in: