April 8, 2011

Chicken Mei Fun



My family loves Chinese food and we could easily live the rest of our lives eating nothing but it.  Every Monday as I am preparing meals for the week and making my grocery list, I ask my husband if there is anything specific he would like for dinner.  He normally says the same thing:  "Not really.  Do whatever you want."  Thanks for the help, dear.  This week, however, was different.  He surprised me with a list of four different meals that he would like, one of which was chicken mei fun.  Chicken mei fun is a quick meal to prepare, perfect for busy week nights.  It is ready within 30 minutes and the most time-consuming aspect is the preparation of ingredients.  This is a healthy and tasty meal that I hope you will try.  I normally add in scrambled egg, which is a lovely addition, but I was running low on them so they were omitted. 

Ingredients:
  • 8 oz thin rice noodles (rice vermicelli)
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil 
  • 1 carrot, julienne cut 
  • 1/2 c onion, sliced 
  • 1 1/2 c shredded cabbage (I used kale)
  • 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in thin strips
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced 
  • 1 c bean sprouts, drained and rinsed 
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1/4 tsp brown sugar 
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce, or more to taste
  • Salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste


    Directions:

    Place the rice noodles in a pot of hot water and allow them to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.  

    While the noodles are soaking, heat the sesame oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high to high heat.  Add the carrot and onion.  Cook and stir until crisp tender.  Stir in the cabbage, cooking and stirring for 1 minute longer.

    Add the chicken.  Cook and stir for a few minutes until chicken is browned on all sides.  Stir in the ginger, bean sprouts, water, brown sugar and soy sauce.  Continue to cook and stir until the chicken is cooked through.

    Drain the rice noodles and add them to the skillet.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add additional soy sauce to taste. 

    Enjoy!

     Hmm.  Not sure about these chopsticks...

       Got it!

    Oh, yeah!


    9 comments:

    1. wow...just loved the chow fun recipe....bookmarking it...thanks for sharing it...would love to try it sometimes !

      ReplyDelete
    2. Sounds great! I cannot use chopsticks. Looks like your daughter got it. Thanks for sharing!

      Christine

      ReplyDelete
    3. This sounds wonderful and it looks like you have an enthusiastic recipe tester. My family also loves Asian food and left to their own devises they'd eat it seven days a week. I hope you have a great weekend. Blessings...Mary

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yum! Love this and your daughter is a doll! Thanks for the recipe!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thank you for the kind comments! My husband told me that the leftovers the next day were even better!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oooh, I love rice noodles! The veggies you put in there sound wonderful, too. Glad to see you are not the only one who enjoyed it :) Will have to give this recipe a try, as I have some rice noodles in the cupboard myself.

      ReplyDelete
    7. I'm saving this one for the next time we get a craving for Chinese. At home, I can control how much oil and sodium it has...and I can eat dinner in my jammies too!

      ReplyDelete
    8. I would pass out if my hubby ever had any dinner suggestions...I ask him the same thing ALL the time! What a great recipe...and your cutie pie girl.

      ReplyDelete
    9. I love this kind of stir fried noodles too, simple but totally delicious!!

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you! :)

    Featured in: