April 7, 2010

Homemade Pop Tarts


I cannot remember the last time I bought a box of pop tarts, mostly because they are so unhealthy in general. That being said, this is not the healthiest of recipes but there is something comforting in knowing every ingredient that goes into the pop tart you are about to eat. Trust me when I say, there will be no leftovers! These are so yummy! You can do this with store-bought pie crusts, too. Just be sure to bake at the temperature and time as suggested on the box.


Ingredients:
  • Pie crust (Click here for my homemade recipe)
  • Jam, preserves or lemon curd (I alternated grape and strawberry)
  • 1 c confectioners' sugar
  • 2 tbsp c evaporated milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • Your choice fresh fruit, chopped (Optional)
  • Sparking sugar or other sugar decorations
Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 375.
  • Cut dough into rectangle shapes.
  • Spread jam on one side of the dough, being careful to not go on to the side
  • Spread some fresh fruit over top of jam.
  • Fold rectangle in half and gently flute the edges with a knife.
  • Make two or more little slits in the tops for ventilation.
  • Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Combine the confectioners' sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla to form glaze.
  • Pour glaze over pop tarts. Decorate with sparkling sugar.
  • Allow to cool on wire racks.
  • Serve warm and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun! I can't wait to try this with the kiddos... I never buy them pop-tarts.. so this way I could surprise them with a healthier version - I would probably opt out of the glaze and let them butter their tarts! Thanks for the inspiration! Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, to butter them! I think I will try this next time :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: