October 1, 2010

Homemade Potato Chips

It has been raining and raining for a long time now. There is water everywhere. Today, I am thankful for the fact that I do not have a basement. The flooding on the roads are so bad that the entire school district is closed for the day.

Now what? It is rainy, cold and windy and Madelyn is home from school all day. I wanted to do something fun, so we decided to make potato chips. I have been meaning to do this for quite some time now and I am so glad that I did. It is so simple, fast and yummy. Now that I have done this, I am sitting here daydreaming about the flavor possibilities. I simply salted mine but next time I will experiment with BBQ seasonings and maybe sour cream and onion. I left the skin on my potato simply because I was not in the mood to peel them.



Ingredients:
  • 1 Idaho or Yukon Gold potato
  • Cold water, enough to cover the potatoes
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • Salt or whatever seasoning you like
Directions:
  • Wash and scrub the potato. Using a mandolin, thinly slice the potato. The thinner, the better in my opinion.
  • Place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl and cover with water. Allow them to sit for about 30 minutes.
  • Remove the potatoes from the water and dry on paper towels or clean kitchen towels.
  • Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Place a the sliced potatoes in the hot oil, a few at a time.
  • Remove the potato chips from the oil when they have reached desired brownness (this should only take 10 to 30 seconds) and place on paper towels. Season with salt and allow to cool.
  • ENJOY!
How bad is the flooding around here? Below is a picture right down the road from my house. The flooding is insane!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: