Recipe by: Allrecipes.com
- 1/4 c butter (or shortening)
- 16 oz mini marshmallows
- 1/4 c water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or almond extract)
- 2 lb confectioners' sugar, divided.
- Place the butter in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Microwave the marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl for about 1 minute, or until the marshmallows begin to melt.
- Set aside 1 c of the confectioners' sugar.
- Carefully stir in the remaining confectioners' sugar one cup at a time; until sticky dough forms.
- Rub your hands thoroughly with the butter. If using food coloring, add now and use gloves to knead in to desired color. Knead the dough along with the reserved confectioners' sugar, until not sticky and smooth. (You do not need to use up the whole cup of reserved sugar. Set whatever is remaining aside for use when rolling out the fondant -- you will definitely need it.)
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Bring the fondant to room temperature before rolling out.
- Ice the cake, roll out the fondant and lie it over the cake.