December 8, 2010

Orange-Cinnamon Meringues


12 Days of (Christmas) Cookies
Day 8

Orange-Cinnamon Meringues

I realized last night that my husband has never had a meringue before. He bit into it and said, "I've never tasted anything like this before". I cannot imagine going through life never enjoying one of these heavenly treats. It's like biting into a sweet cloud from heaven. I thought adding a little orange extract and sprinkling cinnamon would give them a nice flavor. Wow. These are the best meringues I have ever had. My daughter gobbled up as many as she could get her little hands on. When making these, the key to stiffening your egg whites is to make sure they are at room temperature.

Ingredients:
  • 3 large egg whites, room temperature
  • 1 tsp orange extract
  • 1/8 tsp cream of tarter
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c white sugar
  • Ground cinnamon, for sprinkling


Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
  • In a Kitchen Aid (preferable) or with an electric mixer, beat the egg whites, orange extract, cream of tarter and salt on medium speed until soft peaks appear and then turn the speed to high and add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, to the egg mixture and beat until stiff, glossy peaks form; about 6 minutes total.
  • Drop by rounded teaspoons (or pipe) onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
  • Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until firm (43 minutes in my oven). Turn oven heat off and allow the meringues to sit in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
  • Remove from oven. Decorate with food coloring, if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
  • Enjoy!
Madelyn Rating:"Good!"

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: