It has been so crazy around here that it has taken me this long to post a recipe for a meal that we had on Monday. Oh, and the craziness just continued to get worse as the week went on... but more about that in the next post. Over this past weekend, I thawed out some frozen shrimp in the refrigerator because I knew Monday was going to be a bugger of a day. This is one of our favorite meals. It is quick and very yummy. I took a very rushed picture of the finished product in the skillet before I stirred in the eggs but I still wanted to share the yummy recipe with you.
- 3 tbsp oil, divided
- 1 lb shrimp
- 3 c fresh vegetables, chopped or sliced (I used carrots and zucchini)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 c chicken broth
- 1/4 c soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp peanut sauce
- 2 c uncooked white rice
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Optional: 3 eggs, scrambled
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and season with salt and pepper, stirring and cooking until the shrimp are cooked through. Remove the shrimp using a slotted spoon and coarsely chop.
- Using the same skillet, turn the heat down to medium and add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil. Add the vegetables, stirring and cooking until crisp tender. Add the garlic, cooking for 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the chicken broth, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, brown sugar and peanut sauce. Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low and stir in the rice and cooked shrimp. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is cooked and the vegetables are cooked to desired doneness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the optional scrambled eggs.