March 26, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pies


 One Year Ago:  Home Fries

They say the sense of smell is the strongest and most vivid for long-term memories.  While I don't doubt that's true, sometimes I wonder if my sense of taste sometimes is stronger.  When I was a little girl, my Grandmommy would buy Little Debbie's oatmeal cream pies as a treat for me.  My parents did not have a lot of money when I was growing up, so these were a super special treat for me when she would surprise me with them.  I just found out this weekend that my husband happens to love them, too.  If you knew my husband, you would know that he has no sweet tooth whatsoever.  IF he is ever in the mood for something sweet it will be one of 4 things:  Cheesecake, sticky buns, Snickers bars or oatmeal cream pies (newly added to the list).  So, when I was in the mood to bake today and asked my husband if there was something specific he was in the mood for, I was so happy that he suggested these. This recipe is not a Little Debbie's clone because the cookie is not quite as cake-like as the Little Debbie's are but the cream pies are amazing and one bite took me right back to my Grandmommy's kitchen. 

What are some of your favorite childhood cookies? 

Ingredients:
Makes about 32 individual oatmeal cookies / 16 oatmeal cream pies
  • 1 c butter, softened
  • 1 c white sugar
  • 1 c packed brown sugar 
  • 2 large eggs 
  • 1 tsp pure almond extract 
  • 2 c all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tsp baking soda 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 3 c quick cooking oats 
Cream Filling 
  • 2 tsp very hot water 
  • 1/4 tsp salt 
  • 7 oz marshmallow cream 
  • 1/3 c shortening 
  • 1/3 c confectioners' sugar 
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract  
Directions:

Make the cookies.  Cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Stir in almond extract.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Add the flour mixture slowly into the creamed mixture.  Stir in the oats.

Cover and chill the mixture for 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Grease cookie sheets.  Roll the dough into walnut-sized balls and place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.  Bake for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the cream filling.  Dissolve the salt in the hot water.  In a large bowl, beat together the marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt water.  Set aside.

When the cookies are done baking, allow to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.

Place about 1 tbsp of the cream on one side of a cookie and top with another cookie.

Enjoy!




This recipe is linked to Sweets for a Saturday

5 comments:

  1. Celeste these sound wonderful and the filling makes them a bit more interesting than a standard oatmeal cookie. I'd have to say my childhood favorite would be peanut butter cookies. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I have all ingredients on hand to make these except the fluff, so need to pick some up next time. Are the little cookies soft like a cake? As I said on FB last week? Little Debbie is my homegirl...growing up in Texas, I had one of her treats in my lunch every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, peanut butter cookies would be my second childhood favorite. :)

    Wendy, the reason why I said the recipe is not a Little Debbie clone is because they are not soft like cake; just soft like an oatmeal cookie. I'm glad you asked because I'm going to put that in the recipe description. I really wish I could find or figure out a way to make them as soft as the Little Debbie's. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! My family would love these

    ReplyDelete
  5. MMMMMMMM!!! LOVE LOVE Oatmeal pies!!! Girl, you have me ready to pack the kids up and go to the commissary to pick some up hehe. But why should I have the recipe here- amazing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: