April 27, 2011

New York Cheesecake


One Year Ago:  Italian Meatball Sandwich

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter!  My mother had Easter dinner at her house this past Saturday and I offered to bring a dessert.  I hadn't had cheesecake for a long time and I was in the mood for it, so I decided to make one.  I originally obtained this recipe from allrecipes and made a few changes to it.  This yields the perfect cheesecake.  It is smooth and creamy and has great flavor.  There is no cracking or sinking in the middle if you follow the directions exactly.  I hope you try this recipe! For better results, make this the day before.

Ingredients:
Printable Recipe

Crust
  • 1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs 
  • 1/4 c melted butter
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1/4 c sugar 
Cheesecake
  • 4 (8 oz) pkg Philadelphia cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 1/2 c sugar 
  •  3/4 c milk, room temperature 
  • 4 large eggs, room temperature 
  • 1 c sour cream, room temperature 
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 c all-purpose flour 
  • 1/4 tsp salt  
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9-inch springform pan.  Wrap the outside of the pan with two layers of tin foil.

In a medium bowl, mix the crust ingredients together.  Press onto the bottom of the prepared pan.

In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese with the sugar until just smooth.  Do not over mix.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently.

Stir in the milk and eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate into the mixture.  Stir in sour cream, vanilla, salt and flour just until smooth.  Again, be careful to not over mix.

Place the prepared pan in a water bath.  Pour the filling into the prepared crust.

Bake for 1 hour.  Remove the cheesecake from the oven.  Carefully run a greased knife around the rim of the cheesecake to loosen from the edge and prevent cracking when cooling.  Place the cheesecake back into the oven.  Close the oven door, turn off the heat and allow the cheesecake to cool for 5 hours.

Cover and chill in the refrigerator.

Serve with your favorite toppings.

Enjoy!




This post is linked to:  Sweet as Sugar Cookies

14 comments:

  1. Yum! I love cheesecake. I definitely need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks gorgeous and creamy...and the red topping really pops against the white cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photo! This looks fabulous. Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is GORGEOUS!!!

    New to your blog; happy I found you!

    Mary xo
    Delightful Bitefuls

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comments! Thankfully, I didn't have any to bring home after. My hips definitely do not need this cake staring at me all day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hubby loves cheese cake and yours looks perfect! Thanks for sharing! I am following you and would like to invite you to follow my blog too!

    http://personalfoodjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I havent had cheesecake in forever. This looks absolutely divine! Yum!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum!~ And your photo is beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love cheesecake. It's one of my all time favorite desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. there's nothing that can compare to the simply deliciousness of a slice of NY cheesecake....superb photos! Hope you can stop by and add this or another great post to my Seasonal Saturday blog hop going on until Monday evening. And a big Happy Mother's Day too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm having my linky party again and this week is cheesecake! Hope you'll link this recipe or any other cheesecake recipes!
    http://cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com/2011/05/themed-bakers-sunday-5.html
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  13. The water bath is used to help prevent the cheesecake from cracking in the center. You place the cheesecake pan in a larger pan that has water in it. The larger pan should have sides that are high because, ideally, you want the water to reach halfway up the cheesecake pan. However, I've used water baths that have only gone up 1/4 of the way with no problem. (Why does a water bath help prevent cracking? Water evaporates at 225 degrees. So, regardless of the oven temperature, the cheesecake won't bake faster on the outside than in the center, which could cause it to crack.)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: