May 10, 2011

B's Pecan (Meringue) Pie



My Granddaddy recently brought a cookbook over for me called "The Art of Cooking in Rowan".  On the front cover it says, "Ladies Auxiliary of Rowan Pentecostal Free Will Baptist Church.  Rowan, North Carolina."  Come to find out, my dear Great Grandma Doc (his mother), who passed away in 2001, was a recipe contributor!  I never knew this existed and I was immensely thrilled to have such a treasure in my hands.  Inside the very back of the cookbook was a handwritten recipe from my Great Grandma Doc, "B's Pecan Pie".  The first free morning I had to myself, I got started on it.  The results?  While it may not be the most visually pleasing to the eye, the taste is incredible!  There is a slight sugary crunch on top with a moist, buttery and nutty center.  I think pecan meringue pie would be a better description of this dessert.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what "B's" stands for and I think I may never know.



Ingredients: 
Printable Recipe

First Mixture:
  • 20 Ritz crackers, crushed 
  • 3/4 c pecans, chopped
  • 1/2 c brown sugar  
Second Mixture - a meringue:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tarter 
  • 1/2 c white sugar 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  

In a large bowl, combine the Ritz crackers, chopped pecans and brown sugar.

In a separate large bowl, beat the eggs and cream of tarter together until stiff peaks form.  Beat in the sugar and vanilla extract to combine.  Set aside.

Gently fold in the cracker mixture into the egg whites.  Pour into a pie plate.  Bake for 20 minutes.

Chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.

Serve with ice cream.

Enjoy!






This recipe is linked at: Sweets for a Saturday

12 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the story.

    Christine
    Christine's Pantry

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasure!!! I love the look of this pie and after reviewing the recipe, I thought 'pralines in a Ritz cracker crust'! I am not going to rest until I have a piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg... I'm drooling over this picture. I can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! It looks and sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply delicious! bookmarking now..... Thanks dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet Lord, that looks amazing!! I love how nice and crusted the top is and how soft and gooey the inside looks. That must be like heaven to eat! And paired with ice cream? Sounds like the perfect dessert to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! I could sure go for this right now! How nice to have a throwback cookbook, and even better knowing that cooking and recipe developing is in your blood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the crumbly crust and the gooey insides - Delicious snaps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. following you on your culinary adventures - would love for you to do the same for mine:) Thanks!Priya

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting recipe! It sounds and looks delicious. I'm definitely going to add this to my to do list. I would like to invite you to join my linky party on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/05/sweet-indulgences-sunday-4.html

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea using meringue in your pecan pie recipe, I love Meringue because i love frostings, i like your idea of using brown sugar

    but i prefer muscovado sugar since it is healthier than any other

    sugar also I really like making my own crust but i can also use the

    ready one, In making the crust, i want roasted then crushed cashew

    nuts and pecans in it. After cooking I want it to be Refrigerated

    since it is better to eat when its cold, then topped with vanilla ice

    cream and glazed with choco syrup also since i love meringue, it would do too.. YUMMY! I'm getting hungry

    just thinking about it, Thank you very much for your recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: