May 13, 2011

Back to Basics: Homemade Pure Vanilla Extract



I accidentally stumbled upon a comment once about how someone made their own vanilla extract from home.  I hesitated for a long time but finally gave in and tried it once I came across Simply Recipes' recipe for it.  The result?  The taste is better than store-bought, it yields large quantities at a time, it lasts for years, it is extremely easy to make, and it is cost effective!  Will I ever buy vanilla extract at the store again?  Absolutely not!  In fact, once I tasted the results, I tripled the ingredients to make a larger quantity of it.

Note:  You can find reasonably priced vanilla beans on Amazon.com.


Ingredients:

  • 4 vanilla beans
  • 1 c vodka or brandy (I use vodka)
  • Glass jar with tight-fitting lid 

Directions:

Use a sharp paring knife to cut lengthwise down each vanilla bean, splitting them in half and leaving 1/2 inch at the end connected.

Put the vanilla beans in a glass jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid (mason jars work well). Cover completely with the vodka.  You may need to add a little extra vodka to completely cover the vanilla beans.  I had to add an extra couple of tablespoons in my mason jar.


Store in a dark, cool place for 2 months or longer.  Give the bottle a good shake every once in a while.

It lasts for years and you can keep topping it off with vodka once in a while as you use it up.  Just remember to give it a good shake.  




14 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you, for sharing this and the results! I've thought about doing it but, always put it off thinking that it wouldn't be any better than an "expensive" brand. Considering the fortune that I spend on vanilla, I'm doing this tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking over your recipes and everything looks great. I want to make it all. I can't wait to try some out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been meaning to try this. Thank you for sharing!

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/05/12/peanut-butter-cup-caramel-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely doing this. I go through vanilla extract quickly and the only vanilla extract available here has corn syrup in it so it's not 'pure'. great post, Celeste!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had no idea making vanilla extract was that easy. I'm gonna make this for sure as pure vanilla extract is not available in my country and I have more than 10 vanilla beans in my pantry waiting to be used :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've forgotten to say thank you for posting the method! I'm really happy I found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea! I love this. I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for posting this, looks so easy! I saw your link on Sweets for saturdays. I posted a recipe for vanilla sugar cookies if you'd like to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this idea! perfect for a holiday gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an excellent idea! What a great and cheaper than buying it at the store too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never thought about making my own extracts, but this is great! I think I need to make this a project...and soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We just made some of this and you are so right! The taste and smell are heavenly compared to that other stuff. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: