May 24, 2011

Smokey Asian-Style Homemade Beef Jerky

 
 One Year Ago:  Mini Taco Bowls

Making your own jerky is incredibly easy.  From BBQ to honey mustard, you can easily control the flavor to your liking!  There is no need for use of a dehydrator because you can slowly roast these babies in the oven, although a dehydrator would cut down the time significantly.  These are a perfect gift for Father's Day or just as a snack in general. 



Ingredients:
Printable Recipe
  • 1 lb boneless sirloin steak (or any kind of lean meat or venison)
  • 1/3 c soy sauce 
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil 
  • 1 tbsp sesame seeds 
  • 1/2 tbsp brown sugar 
  • 1 tsp plain rice vinegar 
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika 
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger 
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper 
  • 1/4 tsp liquid smoke 
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Directions:

Place the steak in the freezer for 20 minutes, to allow for easier cutting.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a an airtight container.

Remove the steak from the freezer.  Using a sharp knife, cut 1/4-inch-thick strips across the grain.  Flatten using a meat tenderizer to 1/8-inch thickness.  Put the beef strips in the marinade and place in the refrigerator.  Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours.


Preheat oven to 175 degrees. 

Remove the beef strips from the refrigerator and lay them out on a tin foil-covered baking rack.  Make sure none of them are touching.

Place in the oven and roast for 2 hours.

Turn them over and roast until they are dried out, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours longer.

 

Enjoy!


6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe! My husband loves beef jerky...He'll be so surprised to find this treating waiting for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea... I've never thought to make my own jerky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay no lie I am so glad you posted this recipe because i have the perfect father's day food package in mind to send my dad since I can't be with him this year on father's day and one of my ideas included beef jerky (his fav) however, I have never done it before so I have been looking for good recipes and methods. So glad you did this girl! So glad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something that I always wanted to make but never tried. Now that I have your recipe I have no excuses for not proceeding on my own. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I love beef jerky, the thought never occurred to me to try and make it myself though. Will have to give it a try, as it looks completely delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.. Looks delicious beef jerky recipe. Simple Beef Jerkey
    recipe is my favourite one. Thanks for sharing this homemade recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: