June 1, 2011

Banana Split Cake Pops



I am one who hates wasting things.  Wondering where the cupcake tops went when I coned them out of the Patriotic Apple Pie Cupcakes?  I made them into cake pops!  I know, I know!  I keep talking about the weather but it has been crazy hot.  A few days ago, the heat prompted us to go out for ice cream and my daughter got a banana split.  I thought it would be fun to turn it into a cake pop, hence banana split cake pops!  They are so yummy!  Sweet, crunchy, salty and chocolaty all in one cute little bite!  Dollop them with whipped cream and a cherry on top right before serving!



Ingredients: 

  • 1 box cake mix, cooked as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake (I used leftover cake)
  • 1 (16 oz) can frosting
  • Wax paper
  • White candy melts
  • 2 bananas, chopped 
  • 4 large strawberries, chopped
  • 1/2 c walnuts, chopped and toasted 
  • 1/2 c chocolate, chopped
  • Whipped cream, for topping
  • Cherry, for topping (I was out)


    Directions:

    In a large bowl, combine the bananas, strawberries, walnuts and chocolate.  Set aside.  

    After the cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble it into large bowl.  Mix the frosting thoroughly into the crumbled cake.  You do not need the entire can of frosting, so start out by using about 2/3 of the can and add more if you need to.

    Roll the mixture into 1-inch balls.  Place the cake balls on wax paper covered cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50)

    Melt the chocolate in the microwave per directions on package. (30 sec intervals, stirring in between.)  Dip the tip of your lollipop sticks in a little of the melted candy coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)  Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up.

    Once the cake pops are firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered, remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too.

    When the candy coating is just about to harden, carefully and quickly dip and turn the cake pop into the banana/strawberry mixture.  Repeat with the remaining cake pops.
    Place them in a styrofoam block to dry (I set mine in the freezer so they set faster). 

    Dollop whipped cream and a cherry on top right before serving! 
    Enjoy!



    13 comments:

    1. these look like so much fun! not to mention delicious:)

      ReplyDelete
    2. This is one of those very clever ideas that also must be fabulously delicious. I can't wait to try these. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

      ReplyDelete
    3. My family would love these delicious treats. What could be more fun than a banana split on a stick?

      ReplyDelete
    4. YUM! These look great! I love banana splits..so why not on a cake pop?! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
      -Nikki
      http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

      ReplyDelete
    5. Looks delicious! Cake pops are so cute and fun, I have had them at parties but never made them myself, will have to give this recipe a try though, sounds too good to pass up :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. Looks look SO good!! What a fun twist on the traditional cake pop!

      ReplyDelete
    7. what a cool idea! i love it and it looks amazing!

      ReplyDelete
    8. so innovative idea!! Just loved it.

      ReplyDelete
    9. Yummy! I totally pinned that to my cooking board at pinterest!

      ReplyDelete
    10. so I am most DEFINATLY making these this week!!! YUMMY!!!! :)

      ReplyDelete
    11. omg, these look SO good!!!
      you have great ideas!\

      www.somethingnewsomethingblue.net/

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you! :)

    Featured in: