June 12, 2011

Ginger-Carrot Muffins with Candied Ginger



I was in the mood to make some muffins and I decided to experiment with ginger and carrot.  While writing up my recipe, I thought that candying some ginger to place on top would be a nice touch to them.  The ginger topping adds a sweet and spicy kick that was just perfect for these muffins.  My daughter loved them and I couldn't help myself from having a second.  Shame on me!  YUM!



Ingredients:
Printable Recipe

Muffins
  • 2 c all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 c white sugar 
  • 2 tsp baking powder 
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon 
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground ginger 
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil 
  • 1/3 c milk 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 c shredded carrots 
Candied ginger topping 
  • Fresh ginger, julienne cut
  • 1/2 c white sugar 
  • 1/4 c water
  • White sugar, for coating
 

    Directions:

    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

    In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt.

    In a medium bowl, lightly whisk together the vegetable oil, milk and eggs.  Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to just combine.  Stir in the carrots, being careful to not over mix.

    Fill muffin pans 3/4 full.  Bake for 23 to 28 minutes (25 minutes exactly for me), or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. 

    Meanwhile, make the candied ginger topping.  Add the water in a small sauce pan and stir in the sugar.  Add the ginger and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.  Boil for 10 minutes, or until the ginger becomes soft.  Carefully remove the ginger with a slotted spoon, shake off excess sugary syrup and roll each piece in white sugar.  Set on parchment paper to allow to cool.

    Once the muffins are done, allow to cool for 5 minutes.  Slather on some optional butter and top with the candied ginger.

    Enjoy!


    11 comments:

    1. I use candied ginger in several of my favorite recipes and didn't realize how easy it is to make it myself. I would love one of these muffins with my morning coffee.

      ReplyDelete
    2. I love these muffins, but have never topped mine with candies ginger; a fantastic idea!

      ReplyDelete
    3. Your muffins looks fabulous! I love candied ginger, they add a lovely taste to baked yummies! These muffins are perfect for breakfast and tea-time too!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wow! Candied ginger? Genius- I am in love with these muffins. I am addicted to all things bread related and this would go perfect with my coffee each morning!

      ReplyDelete
    5. mmmmmm i love the candied ginger topping! so creative and of cours looks delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Your own candied ginger?! You're the queen! There's no doubt that I'll be trying these soon :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. What a creative and tasty muffin!

      ReplyDelete
    8. These look wonderful. I also make my own candied ginger so I have a supply of it that will make these muffins easy for me to make. Your recipe is wonderful and I can't wait to give it a try. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

      ReplyDelete
    9. Saw your link at Sweet as Sugar Cookies and had to pop over and check these out...I love ginger! I'm also excited to know it's so easy to make your own candied ginger, b/c it's hard to find around here! Can't wait to make these, thanks for posting!

      ReplyDelete
    10. It looks so yummy! Great shot too. Love the recipe. Thanks for sharing.
      You got a lovely space.
      Hope to see you on my blog:)

      ReplyDelete
    11. These would be like eating carrot cake for breakfast, yum. Thanks for linking up to Sweets for a Saturday.

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you! :)

    Featured in: