June 8, 2011

Orange Ice Cream



It is hot out there today!  I dusted off my ice cream maker and began to search of ice cream recipes.  There are so many tasty homemade ice cream recipes out there and I could not make up my mind.  I asked my daughter to give a suggestion and she asked for orange.  There are surprisingly very few orange ice cream recipes out there on the internet.  The Joy of Baking had an interesting one that sounded great and required no cooking, so I tried it out.  There was a beautiful pale orange color to it.  Because I was serving this to the neighbor kids, I wanted the color to be more vibrant, so I added orange gel coloring to it.  It is so refreshing and delicious!  Honestly, I skipped the chilling of the ingredients in the fridge before putting them in the ice cream maker and I noticed no difference. 



Ingredients:
Makes approximately 3 cups
Printable Recipe
  • 1 1/2 c heavy cream 
  • 1/2 c half-and-half 
  • 2 c freshly squeezed orange juice, strain to remove pulp
  • 1/2 c white sugar
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice 
  • 1 tbsp orange zest (optional)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Orange gel coloring (optional)



Directions:

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients.  Cover and place in the refrigerator until it is completely cold (several hours or overnight).

Transfer the mixture to the container of your ice cream machine and process according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Add the optional gel coloring during the last 5 minutes of processing in the ice cream machine.

Once made, transfer the ice cream to an air-tight container.  Store in an the freezer until the ice cream is set to your preference.  If the ice cream becomes too hard, place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving so it can soften.

Enjoy!



20 comments:

  1. orange ice cream, like a sherbet bar but even better! this is fabulous. just summer fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of my favorites!!! looks so refreshing and delicious. mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so creamy and delicious! Orange is my son's favourite fruit, he would love this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm. It looks refreshing and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks incredibly delicious & refreshing! I'm about to abandon my plans to make froyo and make this instead! Seriously, I'm making both:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well doesnt this look good! I might have to give it a try. My favorite ice cream is orange pineapple so I just may have to change this up a little bit.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Refreshing and yummy!

    Thanks,
    Christine
    christinespantry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum...looks GREAT, Celeste! I would gladly eat a bowl of this, with some hot fudge sauce on top. I LOVE orange and chocolate together!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful looking homemade ice cream! I would love it on a sugar cone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings From Southern California

    I am your newest follower. I invite you to visit my blog and follow back if you want too.

    Have a Nice Day :-)

    BTW, Your ice cream looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got an ice cream maker and I am looking for yummy recipes to try. I love orange flavored everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds dreamy. Or dreamsicle-y. Or better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are going to love your ice cream, it looks delicious! Thanks for sharing and have a great week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had chocolate ice cream on holiday in Spain once and loved it. I've just got myself an icecream maker and am planning on making my first batch - probably white chocolate and raspberry - this weekend but am looking for ideas for the future so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I need an ice cream maker.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This orange ice cream sure sounds refreshing and delicious. I have yet purchase my ice cream machine...gotta go get one next week! :) Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmm! My husband would be all over this!! I'd love for you to link up to my sweet treats party this weekend! Hope to see you there :)
    Ashton
    www.somethingswanky.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried this recipe many times and everybody just loved this easy desserts so much!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is no wonder why most people appreciate this ice cream recipes. I do too.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: