August 6, 2011

Granola Trifle



Today is my birthday and I am officially no longer in my 20s.  I made these as a little treat to start off the morning and it was a delightful way to begin my 30th!  This is quite the treat for my daughter and I.  My husband loves the granola alone but we love it with Greek yogurt and fresh berries!  The crunchy granola paired with the rich, creamy yogurt and sweet berries is absolutely divine!  You can make the granola in advance, which makes this perfect for serving to guests.  Simply assemble the trifle and be ready to impress.  The granola can be stored in an air-tight container for up to one month.

  
Ingredients:
Granola adapted from Allrecipes
  • 1 1/2 c rolled oats 
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (I used almonds)
  • 1/4 c oat bran
  • 1/4 c flax seed 
  • 1/4 c salted sunflower seeds
  • 2 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar 
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil 
  • 1/4 c unsweetened apple sauce
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup 
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla 
  • 1/3 c dried fruit (I used Craisins)
  • Yogurt (I used Greek vanilla yogurt)
  • Berries (I used blackberries and raspberries)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. 

In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, nuts, oat bran, flax seed, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.  

In a separate large bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, applesauce, maple syrup, honey and vanilla.  

Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients.  Spread onto a prepared baking sheet.  Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.  

Pour the granola in a large bowl and stir in the dried fruit.  Allow it to cool.  

Spoon the granola in the bottom of a trifle bowl.  Add a few berries and dollop yogurt on top.  Repeat and top with berries. 

Enjoy!


17 comments:

  1. Granola looks yummy. Happy birthday :)

    Vardhini

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soooo beautiful and has to be delicious! Great and easy recipe ...my kind of recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday, sweet Celeste...and welcome to your 30s!! I think this parfait is a great way to start any day, but especially to celebrate. Pinning as I love to make homemade granola!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Celeste! The granola trifle looks wonderful! And so delicious and pretty with the berries!
    Have fun on this special day of yours! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, Happy Birthday, Celeste! Wishing you a wonderful day.
    Looks like the granola breakfast we eat at our house. Just delicious. Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous, healthy and tasty. This is an amazing recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great adore trifle but I am a Brit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday! This looks awesome! I would eat that any day of the week, including my birthday! hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great granola recipe! And these parfaits look beautiful. I love greek yogurt. So I bet this is tangy and sweet and crunchy! A great start to what I hope is a wonderful happy and healthy year for you! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. A belated Happy Birthday! I'd happily eat this granola for dessert. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Celeste. You are 30 carats! I do not mind this dessert for my coming birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious....and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is one of my hubby's and I's favorite breakfasts! Great blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this looks great... and its healthy too! Will me making it pretty soon...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the first two weeks of June 2013.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: