August 14, 2011

Zucchini Muffins with Chocolate Chips



We have been having zucchini everything recently because of the overabundance from the garden that I have of it.  These are my husband's favorite muffins and he has them for breakfast whenever they're in the house until we run out.  The last time I made them, I realized that I was out of mini chocolate chips, so I substituted with the regular size chocolate chips.  I do not recommend this as overpowers the zucchini taste a bit too much.



Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/3 c vegetable oil 
  • 1/3 c milk 
  • 1 large egg 
  • 1 c white sugar
  • 1 c shredded zucchini 
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (I omit for my husband's sake)
  • 1/2 c mini chocolate chips (I was out and used regular size, which I do not recommend)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 1/2 tbsp orange zest 
Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  

In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.  Stir in chocolate chips (this allows them to be coated in the flour, which prevents them from sinking while baking).  

In a separate large bowl, beat together the egg and sugar.  Stir in the zucchini and nuts.  

Gradually stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture, being careful to not over mix.

Fill a prepared muffin pan with the batter 2/3 full for 12 regular size muffins.

Bake for 18 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing. 

Enjoy!


13 comments:

  1. We have also had a lot of zucchini this year. I have shredded and frozen much of it. When I'm not sick of it in January, I'll have it to make muffins:)

    I love zucchini with chocolate chips. I like your addition of orange zest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm behind in here since the computer was in the shop this week. I only had my iTouch, and that's hard to post much on! These look good...yummy choc and healthy zucchini is a great combo that meets all our needs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. But I love chocolates (more the better!) and I really think this is a lovely recipe :) Also I will use the nuts in the recipe too...Thanks for sharing dear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look so good and i have a zucchini that i was wondering what to do with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a healthful and delicious treat! Lucky you got the zucchini in the garden! I have to "pick" mine from the market! LOL

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment. I always appreciate it.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your muffins look great! I would leave out the nuts too, as my daughter is not a fan of nuts! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look perfectly moist and delicious! i love baking with zucchnini

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds & looks delicious! I haven't had zucchini bread in such a long time, I would just love these muffins especially with the mini chocolate chips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These really sound delicious. I'd love to have one with my coffee this afternoon. I can imagine how moist they must be with the zucchini. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really good and especially interesting since there are so many zucchinis growing in the garden it is hard to keep up. Here is a good option!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muffins exquisite and original, LUECE Very nice, l love, cordial embrace.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: