March 8, 2012

Quick & Easy Homemade Onion Rings


If you go back to some of my first posts, you will see that the quality of some of those photos is very poor (example here).  I have been tempted, on occasion, to delete some of the older posts that contained these poor-quality images but have always held off from doing so.  Why?  Mainly because I think it's important to be reminded of where I got started and how far I have come.  I have also made changes to a lot of the older recipes as I have become more familiar with cooking over the years.  Why am I telling you all of this?  Well, what I would like to do every once in a while is take a blog post from years ago and bring it back in the spotlight with hopefully a nicer photo and/or any changes I have made over the years to the recipe.  Take for instance, onion rings.  I originally posted "Homemade Old-Fashioned Onion Rings" on my blog in 2010 but I have made changes to the recipe over the years and the original photo could use a lot of help. 

Now, to the recipe.  These onion rings are delicious and crispy and you can have them in under 20 minutes, start to finish.  


Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet onion
  • 1 c all-purpose flour 
  • 1 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder 
  • 1/8 tsp paprika 
  • 1/8 tsp black pepper 
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 c milk
  • Vegetable oil, for deep fryer or enough to completely submerge the onions in a large pot
  • Kosher salt 
Directions:

Preheat the vegetable oil  in a deep fryer to 365 degrees or in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat.  

While the oil is preheating, cut the onion into 1/2-inch rings.  

In a shallow bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper.  In a separate shallow bowl, beat together the egg and milk.  

Dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture, shaking off the excess.  Add the onions in the egg mixture to coat, gently shaking to allow the excess to drip off.  Dredge once more in the flour mixture.  

Add the onion rings to the hot oil.  Fry until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.  If you are using a stove top, the time may be more or less, depending on how hot your oil is, so just keep a close eye on them.  Remove from the oil with tongs and drain on paper towels.  Lightly dust the onion rings with some kosher salt, to taste.


Enjoy!


10 comments:

  1. These sound delicious. I'm new to your blog and have spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that.I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious!
    thks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found you via Google and made these tonight! They were so good!

    peace&love, Jill
    Favor the Brave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, these are yummy--Googled a homeade onion ring reipe, yours was first and I found I needed to go no further. These are delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made these tonight for my husband and they very good.He loved the flavor. He took the left over flour and egg mixture and mixed them together for huspuppies, they were good also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are super yummy! Totally recommended to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My only complaint... So yummy that i ate the whole plate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. just made your recipe, they came out awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I followed the recipe to a T and they came out perfectly. Only problem was they tasted so good that I ate more than my share while cooking and had to make a second batch. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: