Make a New Year's resolution to have a healthy diet? Try this delicious spicy chicken tortilla stew! It's healthy, low in calories and oh, so good! Simply throw the ingredients in your slow cooker in the morning and return home in the evening to the amazing smell of Southwestern goodness.
Tip: To save a little bit of time, you can substitute the "Southwestern Seasoning" ingredients listed below with an envelope of taco seasoning.
Yields 4 to 6 servings
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1/2 c onion, diced
- 1/2 c celery, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
- 12 oz beer (or chicken broth)
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 c tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce plus 1 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 c pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp dried cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Tortilla chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Chopped Scallions
- Cooked rice
Add the onion, celery, garlic, black beans and corn in a slow cooker. Pour in the beer, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce, chipotle pepper and adobo sauce, cilantro, and sugar. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt. Stir well to combine. Submerge the chicken breasts in the mixture.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
1 hour before serving, remove the chicken breasts and shred (or chop) them. Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 1 hour longer. Just before serving, stir in the cheddar, mozzarella and pepper jack cheeses.
Top with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!