Whenever I am asked to provide a pasta salad, I typically make my husband's favorite Italian Vegetable & Shrimp Pasta Salad but I wanted to try something new for a Memorial Day picnic. I stumbled across a recipe from Food.com that sounded good and received excellent reviews. I made a few changes to it and it really did turn out to be delicious! This pasta salad only gets better with time, so make it one day in advance if possible.
Serves 10 to 12
Adapted from food.com
- 1 lb box tri-colored pasta
- 2 c green peppers, chopped
- 2 c grape tomatoes, sliced
- 6 oz sliced pepperoni, sliced in half circles and separated
- 1/2 c black olives, sliced
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 oz sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 3/4 c extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 c red wine vinegar
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
In a medium bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water according to package instructions. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
Pour the cooked pasta in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over all stir well to combine. Stir in the green pepper, tomato, pepperoni, black olives and Parmesan cheese. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours.
Before serving, stir in the cheddar cheese.