October 7, 2010

Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes



I have been searching the internet and cookbooks for some autumn treats a lot recently. I have come across so many great ideas and I wish I had time to try them all! As soon as I saw these, I knew I had to make them instantly. Two of my favorite treats in one! I used my own favorite vanilla cupcake recipe with the apple pie filling. These are SO good! I think the only thing that I would change for next time is drizzling a little caramel at the bottom before putting the apple pie filling in and calling them Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes. I found these on one of my favorite food blogs, Annie's Eats. Check her out -- she's great!


Ingredients:

Cupcakes

  • 3/4 c butter
  • 1 3/4 c sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2 all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 c milk
  • Whipped frosting or whipped cream, for topping
Apple Pie Filling
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 to 3 tbsp sugar (I used 3)
  • 3 large apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used braeburn)
  • Caramel

    Directions:

    • Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    • Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and baking powder.
    • Add flour and milk in batches, starting with flour and ending with flour.
    • Stir until batter is smooth and silky.
    • Fill paper-lined muffin tins with the batter.
    • Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
    • Allow to cool for 45 minutes before frosting.
    • While the cupcakes are cooling, make the apple pie filling.
    • Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
    • Add the cinnamon and sugar and cook for a minute. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the apples. Cook and stir until the apples are somewhat tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

    • While the apple mixture is cooling, use the cone method to remove a chunk from the center of each cupcake, making sure to leave a rim around the top of the cupcake.
    • Fill the holes with the cooled apple mixture.  Drizzle caramel over.
    • Decorate with a dollop of whipped frosting or whipped cream.

    • Enjoy!




    17 comments:

    1. Those look really, really good!! I'm going to have to make those. Uggh, off to the store to get more apples. LOL

      ReplyDelete
    2. Wow! These look fantastic!! Very creative and seasonal! I, like you, want to try everything this season! Autumn rules. Fantastic photos, by the way.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Oh, they WERE good... time to make more. Shame on me! lol I always seem to pack on a few extra pounds around this time of year. Wonder why.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Wow nice pictures, those apples look yummy and so juicy. Thanks for visiting my blog by the way. I bet if I hate one of those it will right to my thighs :-) Never the less I am sure they are awasome

      ReplyDelete
    5. Favolosi questi dolcetti Cara,bravissima e complimenti per il tuo blog,molto carino!!!!!;-)
      Bacioni..:-***

      ReplyDelete
    6. Oh these look heavenly. I know what I will be baking today :)

      ReplyDelete
    7. Apple pie cupcakes sounds like a great idea. Yours look delicious. Great presentation as well.

      ReplyDelete
    8. YAY! They were featured in Foodwhirl.com today! :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. Woo hoo! It doesn't get much better than this! It is a must try!!!

      ReplyDelete
    10. OH my, these look so delicious! The cupcake is perfect and with those toppings, winner!

      ReplyDelete
    11. These look so good. I was just playing around with cupcake recipes (upside pineapple ones to be exact). I like the idea of fruit like you have it.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Absolutely Amazing!! What a great idea.
      I found you at Sweets for a Saturday.

      ReplyDelete
    13. Beth, I bet your upside down pineapple cupcakes tasted great! That's a great idea and I'll have to give that a try sometime.

      Angie, glad you stopped by! Love your blog and I am YOUR newest follower!

      ReplyDelete
    14. OK - So I've fallen in love with your cupcakes. I absolutely love apples and cinnamon. I've never seen them used in this way before. So original!!! I'd love to invite you to join my linky party on A Well-Seasoned Life's Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

      http://www.wellseasonedlife.com/2011/05/sweet-indulgences-sunday-6.html

      ReplyDelete
    15. Yum! I love apple pie so I'm sure these are delicious in cupcake form! I've made apple muffins before but yours look even better! I'll have to try it out.

      ReplyDelete
    16. How many does the recipe make?

      ReplyDelete
    17. Renee, the recipe yields 24 cupcakes.
      http://cuckooking.blogspot.com/2011/05/patriotic-caramel-apple-pie-cupcakes.html

      ReplyDelete

    I would love to hear from you! :)

    Featured in: