June 22, 2011

Strawberry Flaugnarde



Months ago, my mother surprised me with a cooking class for a day.  One of the things we were shown how to make was a French dessert, apple claflouti.  I had never heard of it before but when I tasted it, I fell in love.  Today, I wanted to recreate this yummy dessert but with a few changes.  Upon further research of the dessert, I discovered that clafouti is made only with cherries and that incorporation of any other fruit makes it a flaugnarde.  It turned out delicious and I cannot wait to try different variations of it! 



Ingredients:
Printable Recipes
  • 1 lb strawberries, sliced thin
  • 1/2 c butter, melted 
  • 1/3 c white sugar
  • 2/3 c all-purpose flour 
  • 5 large eggs
  • 2/3 c heavy cream 
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract 
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest 


Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, butter and sugar.  Set aside.

Beat the eggs until they become slightly frothy.  Slowly add in the cream and flour.  Add the vanilla and lemon zest and continue to beat until the mixture becomes smooth.

Remove the strawberries using a slotted spoon.  Gently fold the strawberries into the egg mixture.

Pour into a buttered pie dish.  Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until it has risen evenly and has turned golden brown on top.

Allow to cool.  Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.

Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Sweet mom! I love that I'm benefiting from your cooking class! (claflouti vs flaugnarde)...I'm definitely trying your recipe. It looks absolutely delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...sort of like a strawberry cobbler. I love this...looks so so so delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a slice right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh this looks fabulous! Almost wish I had made this instead of the hand pies! WOW! I mean the flavor is just oozing out of the picture. I bet it is out of this world!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: