August 16, 2011

Brunch Casserole


One Year Ago:  Parsley Caprese  

I was recently asked for summer brunch ideas for when someone has guests at their house and I immediately thought about my brunch casserole.  This recipe is fluffy and full of flavor.  It is very forgiving and can easily be altered to your taste.  My favorite thing about it is that it can be made a day in advance, so you can avoid the hassle of messing up your kitchen and still serve a delicious home-cooked brunch to your guests.  About an hour before you are ready to serve your guests, throw the casserole in the oven, sit back and enjoy your company.



Ingredients:
Serves 12
  • 8 slices wheat bread, cubed 
  • 1 lb cooked meat, crumbled or shredded (I used crumbled turkey sausage)
  • 2 c shredded cheese (I used sharp cheddar cheese)
  • 10 large eggs
  • 2 c milk (I used skim)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil 
  • 2 c veggies, chopped (I used green pepper, onion and mushroom)
  • 1 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (I used basil) 
  • 1 clove garlic, minced 
  • Salt, to taste
  • Pepper, to taste  



Directions:


Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Place the bread in a 9 x 13-inch prepared baking dish.  Evenly top the bread with cooked meat and cheese.

Beat the eggs with milk and season with salt and pepper.  Pour the egg mixture evenly over all.

Bake for 50 minutes, or until it is puffed and set in the middle.  Allow it to cool for 5 minutes before slicing into 12 squares.

Enjoy!




7 comments:

  1. That looks soooo good! I love brunch foods and would love to have that right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love stuff like this that you can assemble ahead of time and pop in the oven in the morning. I'm not a morning person, so this is the perfect dish for me: make it up the night before and spend my morning sipping mimosas instead ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brunch foods are one of my favorite and I am bookmarking this to make soon! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.. this casserole looks yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love casseroles for breakfast or brunch! They are so comforting and filling and easy to make ahead of time. This recipe is a bit different than mine so I can't wait to try yours out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is something I will will will try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is one of our families favorites! I love how it's so easy and it makes so much to share. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! :)

Featured in: