I have been searching the internet and cookbooks for some autumn treats a lot recently. I have come across so many great ideas and I wish I had time to try them all! As soon as I saw these, I knew I had to make them instantly. Two of my favorite treats in one! I used my own favorite vanilla cupcake recipe with the apple pie filling. These are SO good! I think the only thing that I would change for next time is drizzling a little caramel at the bottom before putting the apple pie filling in and calling them Caramel Apple Pie Cupcakes. I found these on one of my favorite food blogs, Annie's Eats. Check her out -- she's great!
- 3/4 c butter
- 1 3/4 c sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 c milk
- Whipped frosting or whipped cream, for topping
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugar (I used 3)
- 3 large apples, peeled, cored and diced (I used braeburn)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla and baking powder.
- Add flour and milk in batches, starting with flour and ending with flour.
- Stir until batter is smooth and silky.
- Fill paper-lined muffin tins with the batter.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 45 minutes before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, make the apple pie filling.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the cinnamon and sugar and cook for a minute. Lower the heat to medium and stir in the apples. Cook and stir until the apples are somewhat tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While the apple mixture is cooling, use the cone method to remove a chunk from the center of each cupcake, making sure to leave a rim around the top of the cupcake.
- Fill the holes with the cooled apple mixture. Drizzle caramel over.
- Decorate with a dollop of whipped frosting or whipped cream.